The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl

The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl 

I really enjoyed this book because it was the first time I had heard of it and it was the first time I had seen Quentin Blake’s work in color (other than on the web). The book starts off with the enormous crocodile telling the smaller croc that he would like to go to the village and get a child to eat. He is told that he is being greedy and that he should just stay in the river where he belongs and eat the fish. He is so determined and sure that his tricks will work, he sets out on his quest. He brags to all the other jungle animals about how he is going to eat children and no one seems to approve. The hippopotamus, elephant, monkey, and bird all tell him he is not smart and should stay in the jungle. After trying to eat a few of the other animals, he works up an appetite and decides he will have to eat multiple children. When he gets to the village, all of his plans fail thanks to the other animals and he eventually dies. I thought this ending was little strange because I feel like in books written today, the character that is learning a lesson is almost always punished but never actually dies. This book was published in 1978 so it is not exactly up to date but I still think it had a great message, do not be greedy and be thankful for what you have. I thought Blake’s drawings were amazing and I loved seeing them with color and filling up all the pages.