Butler Through the Eyes of a Freshman

My name is Joel McVey, I am from Morris IL, and I am a Finance major and Math minor.

Time travels quite quickly here at Butler University.  Coming in as a freshman, I felt a little overwhelmed but had a great opportunity to meet new people through a program called Ambassadors of Change, which allows students to come to Butler a week earlier than their classmates for the purpose of learning about service leadership.   It was through programs like that, as well as through orientation week activities, that I began to meet other freshmen and older students who were very willing to help me fit at Butler.  Orientation week seems like just yesterday, but at the same time it is strange for me to think that all of the people I know now at Butler, were foreign to me just a few short months ago.  Taking after the example set forth to me by the older students at Butler, I have become involved in a number of activities and further developed my network of friends through these activities.

My typical week:

As far as classes go, Monday is the busiest day of my week.  I wake up at about 8 a.m., get dressed, brush my teeth, and head to ResCo. for breakfast before starting my classes.  From 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., I am in classes that include Calculus, my First-Year Seminar on Faith, Doubt, and Reason, and Freshman Business Experience, where I participate on a group of 5 students designing a pet product and preparing a business plan for this product.  After my business class, I eat lunch, then head to my food science class and lab from 1:00 to 5:00.  I have enjoyed my lab much more than expected, because, like my business class, the professors have been very consistent on providing outside-the-classroom experience to complement our lectures, including field trips and guest speakers.  I have a similar schedule on Wednesdays and Fridays, minus the lab.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are my homework days, because Calculus is my only class.

In addition to these classes, I have enjoyed participating on a number of activities on campus.  I am currently a member on the Butler Catholic Community leadership team, where I have been thoroughly pleased with Butler’s opportunity for students to develop their faiths in a real, caring community of students.  I have been able to continue another passion of mine, by playing on the Club Tennis Team.  Tennis has been a great way for me to form friendships and blow off steam from the stresses of college life.  I have also been able to develop career strengths by serving on Finance Club, the Scholars for the Advancement of Business Leaders, Math Association of America, and Alpha Kappa Psi professional business fraternity.  These have been great outlets for me to develop my personal strengths with others who have similar interests to me.  Moreover, I am grateful for my roles in becoming connected with other students and the surrounding community, by serving as my dorm’s Treasurer and Student Government representative, and serving on Butler University Student Foundation (BUSF), the organization for that I am writing this blog.  BUSF is an excellent way for prospective students, current students, and alumni to connect to each other.

Occasionally, I have time to relax and have fun around campus.  By participating on intramural teams, going to events on campus, and learning to live with the members of my living unit, we have formed friendships and given each other a sense of belonging on campus.  With these people, along with other friends, I may go play pick-up basketball, go out to fraternities, attend a sporting event, see a movie, or make frozen yogurt runs.  It has really been easy to get along with everyone on campus.   The first few months have given me life changing experiences, and I remain hopeful for the future.

by Joel McVey

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.