Differences in healthcare systems

After reading “When Cowboy Chicken Came to Town” I began to think about the differences in workplaces between capitalist countries like the United States and communist countries like China. I decided to do a little research on the differences in medical workplaces since I hope to work in such a place in the future. I first found this article that provided a general overview on the health care in China: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/04/03/397158218/what-china-can-teach-the-world-about-successful-health-care

I enjoyed reading about the idea of barefoot doctors and the major successes that resulted from these rural healthcare providers. Indiana has one of the highest infant mortality rate in the United States so reading about the fact that the infant mortality rate decreased as a result of access to barefoot doctors was uplifting and motivating.

I found it interesting that the primary health care system is severely understaffed and that the general population does not have access to proper preventative healthcare. I did not know that violence against doctors is very common due to the frustration that patients experience. The violence seems to stem from an overall mistrust of the healthcare system since primary care doctors are extremely underpaid and they resort to corruption and incentives from drug companies.