ICR Reflection

I would say that this ICR experience this semester was interesting. I did enjoy getting out into the community, as a junior I have surprisingly not gotten out in Indianapolis as much as I should have. That was something I was hoping to do in this course. I definitely got out in the community more than I have in the past just connecting with the members in the IACA made me feel like I was an active member. Personally, my favorite experience I had was volunteering at the International Festival. I particularly enjoyed being in the lion dance performance, it’s that same feeling that I was talking about earlier with being part of the community. Another part of the festival that I really enjoyed was being able to walk around during the and talk to other booths at the event. This allowed me to broaden my horizons past just the IACA and connect with other people in the community. I actually had a very unique experience when I was talking to the people at the German booth. We were just having a normal conversation when they gave me a pamphlet for the Christkindlmarkt, which is a German themed Christmas festival. Weeks after this encounter I attended Christkindlmarkt and actually ran into the people from the International Festival at the event it was very cool, and everything came full circle. Again, I did enjoy my ICR experience as it gave me and, opportunity to get active in Indianapolis. If there was one thing that wasn’t great about it that would be limited opportunities. I understand this a new program mixing the GHS and ICR, but it was difficult to complete my hours with the amount of opportunities we were given. I do understand it’s a work in progress. I would like to finish this off by saying thank you to the members of the IACA, the ICR people at Butler and Prof. McGrath for trying their best working the logistics on this course.