Xiao (Filial Piety)

When reading about early schools of Chinese thought, I was reminded how heavily Confucius emphasized the importance of respect and virtuous relationships. One of the main values of Confucianism is filial piety: showing great respect for one’s parents and upbringing both in the home—and in the heart—but also outside the home when representing one’s name. This concept plays a great role in understanding the Chinese family structure. The value extends too beyond the family unit representing respect of the hierarchy and obedience in other duties such as superiors in one’s occupation, in scholastic endeavors, and as a citizen. This is a characteristic rather well known of Chinese culture, but how did its early introduction and influence alter the society of those who live there? What does it look like today? Has it changed? I was sparked by the reading and in class discussion to see how people today think their nature and nurture has been affected by their societal norms of family relationships and the hierarchy.

In China, filial piety is not only a core value, but is also expected. In its origins, filial piety was defined as “the principle of Heaven, the righteousness of Earth, and the proper conduct of the people”. Today people in China see it as duty given to children to be good to their parents, treating them with respect and care, but also to provide for them and not cause harm. The duty extends past the lifespan of one’s ancestors, teaching that it is one’s obligation to honor the dead as they do the living. Often people today reference the phrase that ‘blood is thicker than water’ to note the strong ties to family despite circumstances.

When reading about the commitment to family in modern Chinese society, I noticed a stark difference between their culture and life here at home. In China, being filial at home means being committed and dedicated to one’s family; here in the States, many people are disconnected from their extended family, and some their immediate family as well. It is custom in China for people to take leave from work during the Chinese New Year to honor their families and pay visit. Here you constantly hear people complaining about having to spend time with family, especially during the holidays, and some chose to work the holiday hours for the increased pay as opposed to spending time with family. In China, filial piety is standard, but here there is less of an equated norm with many people holding different moral and religious beliefs.

I do not think that filial piety has changed in China over the past several couple decades, but it has adapted in the time to better suit the abilities of modern society. From everything I read online, it seems that most Chinese people living in China and those that live here in America see their experiences as improved as a result of growing up in a home with the teachings of filial piety. I was unaware that there are some actual laws pertaining to filial piety, one law just past in 2013 that attempted to regulate and encourage adults to visit their elderly parents; with no specified punishment it seems that society will conform as it already partakes in this behavior. Legally regulating moral conduct seems questionable to me, but if the behavior is already engrained in their behavior it may not cause issue.