Islamic Middle East Unit

I am very excited to begin this unit. I believe that the Middle East is one of the least understood areas of our world. There are so many stereotypes that lie over the Middle East and the cultures that thrive there that we are unable to really see a lot of the cultural beauty that exists there. I was excited to being readingĀ The Cairo House as this is a book I have been wanting to read fully and in more depth. It was a book that I read in high school, but we only focused on short sections and ideas. Right away, it was very interesting to read about the description of chameleons Serageldin gives us, showing the different faces all individuals put on when they are faced with different countries, cultures, and norms. It was also interesting seeing a glimpse of the tradition of The Feast of the Sacrifice and how the more westernized character Gigi attempts to see the slaughter of the sheep on her own. This leads to a comical mishap on her end. I am excited to continue to read this novel, as well asĀ No god but God, and am excited to expand my knowledge on this region of the world.