Case-Study Report

By , May 1, 2012 8:34 pm

During the 2012 spring semester, we completed several visits to Pike Township school New Augusta North Public Academy. We shadowed a teacher in our content area and worked with a particular student to examine how content literacy impacted the student and learning in the classroom. At the completion of the semester, we documented the experience in a Case-Study report in which we outlined our observations and experiences with the student. 

pastedGraphic.pdf

Coordinating Teachers: Mrs. Stacy Schurtz

Student: Jada

pastedGraphic_1.pdf

I have read various articles on the fourth dimension, the relativity theory of Einstein, and other psychological speculation on the constitution of the universe; and after reading them I feel as Senator Brandegee felt after a celebrated dinner in Washington. “I feel,” he said, “as if I had been wandering with Alice in Wonderland and had tea with the Mad Hatter.”   — Charles Lane Poor

New Augusta Public Academy- North

Located in Pike Township to the northwest side of Indianapolis, New Augusta North Public Academy serves 785 students in grades 6 through 8 with with 44 teachers (a ratio of about 18 students to 1 teacher).  About 29.3%, or 230, of the 785, students qualify for free and reduced lunch and the school demographics are broken down into 57% Black, 23 % White, 6% Hispanic and 10% multiracial. The per student expenditure for the school is $9,148 just above the state average at $8,800 dollars per student. New Augusta and Pike Township experiences a significant amount of diversity as each student brings a unique history and culture to the classroom. It would unfair to say that race alone makes these students diverse, because this area of Marion County experience significant amounts of financial diversity as noted by the amount of students on the free and reduced lunch plan.

The school offers a variety of  programs to the students including sports programs, of which there are 13 different men and women’s teams, and clubs, such as the art club, academic team, student government, news crew, young men of purpose, green thumb club, and yearbook. The students seem to be encouraged to be highly involved, something I noted in my classroom observation.

Because of their Indianapolis location, the school experiences a wide variety of resources in the immediate area. In a city of more than 1 million people, Pike Township is an urban residential community with a population of approximately 74,000 (as of 2008) and an assessed value of $3.7 billion. The average cost of a home is just around $238,000. Residents are able to enjoy close proximity to all the excitement of downtown including the many and varied cultural, recreational, social and sporting events throughout the city. The community has a well-balanced mix of light industry and varied retail and shopping plazas that offer many dining and entertainment opportunities. Eagle Creek Park, in the township’s northwest corner, provides a 5,000-acre nature facility for hiking, fishing, sailing and skiing. It also includes a 27-hole golf course, bird sanctuary, archery range, woodland/wildlife preserve and other family activities. The Pike Performing Arts Center (PPAC), located on the Pike High School campus, is a state-of-the-art facility that seats 1,500 in the auditorium and 150 in the studio theatre. Open since 1996, it provides educational programs for students and a subscription series of professional touring productions for the local community.

From all of this data,  it was easy to conclude I would expect a highly diverse school environment with many children experiencing all different types of home life. The school also has a strict dress code policy which I could see as being very beneficial to remove some of the distraction and distress clothing choices can cause middle level learners. In discussing Ruby Payne’s (2005) work A Framework for Understanding Poverty, and the Vatterott (2007) text, I was anxious to see just what school would look like at New August North. I was also anxious to see how teachers worked to create authentic relationships with students to combat some of the pressures of middle school and the difficulties of poverty which can adversely affect learning in the classroom.

Meeting Jada

After observing Mrs. Schurtz’s 7th grade science class during my first two visits to New Augusta North, I spoke with her about a student to select for my case study to investigate content literacy in the science classroom. I had noticed a young girl who sat at the very front of the room but seemed disengaged with what was happening. I came to learn her name was Jada.

Asking Mrs. Schurtz about Jada, she actually cautioned me against working with the student. She suggested a few alternatives and ultimately said, Jada would not be a good choice unless I wanted a student who “never did any work, ever.”  But I will admit, I was intrigued by this young girl. It appeared to me at first glances that she had developed faster than many of her peers, she was tall and had matured-not all that unusual in middle school where many children are developing at vastly different rates (Vatterott 2007). She seemed bright, albeit unmotivated, and I was suspicious as to whether or not this was of her own choice, or the influence of other students or teachers perceptions of her which can seem significant at this critical age. Finally during my second observation, I spoke with Jada, I wanted to ask her whether or not she would be okay with me observing her. I felt that it was important for me to ask her opinion that way she would feel comfortable about me being over her shoulder for the next few weeks. Vatterott (2007) notes the importance of middle level learners feeling that they have an opinion and a “stake”in their own learning experience. But ultimately I feel that this is something we all strive for-all learners want to know their efforts are valued, appreciated, and noticed.

Throughout my observations of Jada, I noticed her clothes: she always wore a polo and the same, or very similar, khaki pants with nice Nike shoes which she kept very clean. She always had her science book and a binder, but I never noticed an independent book like many of the other students who often carried theirs stacked atop other books from class to class. In asking Jada a few questions, I learned she like to read and considered herself a good reader. I was happy to learn this because personal efficacy can make such a difference in what students believe they can or cannot achieve in the classroom. She said her favorite books were the A Series of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler (pen name Lemony Snicket) which I found very intriguing because it is considered somewhat gothic and full of satiric  humor. Also the storyline of the series follows three children who suffer various misfortunes at the hands of a dishonest relative. I could not say what specifically this implied for Jada, but I wonder if there is not much, much more to this young girl than meets the eye.

Outside of school, Jada was not involved in many school related activities like athletics, however, she did mention a younger cousin whom she consistently watched on weekends or after school. This made me curious about her family structure. From the few comments she made, I also wondered if she felt a certain amount of responsibility to this young child. As closed as Jada was sometimes, it seemed as though she might be expected to be an adult the majority of the time and did not really understand, or know, how to be a 13 year old girl.

During the class time we spent together, I would watch Jada’s interactions with other students, Mrs. Schurtz (of whom she did not really like, but did not mind her class), and the material. I noticed she was quiet in the classroom and never volunteered. But she would talk to her peers who sat immediately around her. She was slow to get going on her work, but usually attempted it, sometimes looking around her to “get ideas” from other students who sat near her. One class I worked with her to complete a worksheet. I noticed she was fine speaking to me as long as everyone around her was engaged and talking. But when the room quieted, so would she. Clearly she felt insecure about me being around, putting herself  “out-there” in the classroom, and what others thought of her. Once I made this connection, noticed this same trend in other activities-specifically lab assignments which required the students to complete activities which may make them look silly. Jada definitely exhibits many of the classic signs of a complicated middle level learner.

Assessment and Plan of Action

Through my observations of Jada, it became apparent to me that she did not necessarily need modifications for the material, she just needed help to feel supported and important in the classroom. Because of the way in which Mrs. Schurtz’s classroom is structured and run each week, it would have been impossible and ineffective for me to pull Jada out to work with her independently. Therefore I decided my best course of action was to continue my observations of the classroom as a whole and continuously check in with Jada to remind her that her learning and progress was important to me. By building this authentic relationship with her, I hoped to reinforce the idea that someone was invested in her success. I also tried to “put myself out there” when I noticed she was getting uncomfortable with an activity. By joining in the lab activities with her, or not being afraid to look silly, I hoped to make her feel more comfortable making constructive mistakes which lead to learning experiences. Learning can be scary for middle level learners who often have more on their minds that what is happening in a classroom at any one moment (Vatterott, 2007).

In terms of literacy strategies, I was able to use one-on-one personal formative assessments with her to review whether or not she was understanding the material. After Jada would read, or Mrs. Schurtz would lecture, I would speak with her for a few moments to review the lesson and ask questions which I hoped would encourage development of ideas and increase her comfort level in expressing herself which was where she most notably struggled. We would take these assessments slowly, I would attempt not to lead her to an answer, but would ask increasingly more difficult questions to help her move through the levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy.  Because she never volunteered in class, I new it might be difficult to provoke responses from her, so I had to practice critical wait time which she almost always maximized-silence was her weapon of choice.

Using my second lesson (outlined below) I would modify the class sharing activities so that the students must outline/prepare their speeches before they shared to the class. This would help Jada by encouraging her to organize her thoughts before she feels the pressure of having to speak to a group or teacher and hopefully provide her with some comfort in presenting to a group which is a critical form of oral literacy.  I would also increase the amount of times I, as the instructor, came around to her table/lab group to work with her and encourage her critical thinking skills in a one-on-one formative interaction.
Lesson Plan 2

SUBJECT: Science

TOPIC: Cells

GRADE: 7th

TIME/PERIOD: 50 minutes

OBJECTIVES:

SWBAT: Students will be able to explain the functions of the organelles of the cell.

SWBAT: Students will be able to illustrate that all organisms are composed of cells and the reactions sustain life occur within cells.

STATE STANDARDS (COMMON CORE STANDARDS)

# (Common Core Standard) 6-8.RS.4 

Determine the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases as they are used in a specific scientific context relevant to grades 6-8 texts and topics.

# (Content Standard) SCI.7.3.1 2010

Explain that all living organisms are composed of one cell or multiple cells and that the many functions needed to sustain life are carried out within cells.

ELL STANDARDS

#ELP.7.1 

Word Recognition, Fluency and Vocabulary development

Language minority students will listen, speak, read, and write to convey knowledge of sounds, words, word parts, and context clues.

TIME TEACHER ACTIVITY STUDENT ACTIVITY MATERIALS
7 min Anticipatory set-the hook

• Powerpoint “What does a cell look like” Images of the organelles of the cell, formative class assessment to identify these organelles with their functions.
  • Add to Vocabulary Awareness Chart (pg. 138 50 Activities Content Lit Book)
  • Class voting on Animal cell or Plant Cell
As students enter the room and sit down a powerpoint will be playing of various images of the different parts of a cell. After everyone has entered we will go through the powerpoint and students will participate by sharing information about organelles from their Vocabulary Awareness chart. They can add to this chart from the information given by their classmates.

Students will then vote on which type of cell they would like to build a class model for, either a plant cell, or an animal cell

• Powerpoint
  • Board
  • Chalk/ Dry Erase makers
  Objectives

• What does a cell look like + Vocabulary awareness
  • Lab- Looking at cells and Building a Cell
  • Vocabulary test next class!
This is posted on the board for the students as they come into the classroom and is referenced in instruction
  • Board
  • Chalk/ Dry Erase Markers
12 min Instruction

1. 7 minutes to explain Lab Activities Part 1 using microscopes and slides

Use microscopes and slides to identify the different parts of the cell– draw, label, and describe the functions of organelles/cell parts. Students can use content guides and vocabulary awareness to complete the lab. I will be circulating the classroom asking questions of each student and making sure the lab is going smoothly, there may be some trouble with some students microscope techniques.

1. 5 minutes to explain Cell Model building

Student will be grouped in specific lab groups from the previous activity, they will work together to complete the different part of a giant cell model with their elbow partner. They will be allowed to sign up for whichever organelle or cell part they wish. They will be expected to label the important parts of their organelle and they will present this to the class as we put the giant model together.

• Student will listen as instructions are given then break into their lab groups to complete the lab.
  • Before the lab they will draw an example of what they expect to see in a typical animal cell and a typical plant cell.
  • The students will then work with their elbow partner to create a model of the cell organelle for which they signed up.
  • Microscopes
  • Slides
  • Lab Notebook
  • Model making materials

Students Need

• Vocab awareness
  • Content Guides
  • Books
23 Practice

Guided:

N/A

Independent (Lab Groups)

All practice for this lesson is lab groups and not necessarily guided unless some groups are having trouble.

– Students will observe the different parts of cells under the microscope in their lab groups. They will complete labeled drawings of what they see in their lab notebook. The will include the important functions of each organelle under the drawings.

• Students will then be grouped into partners- this time using their lab elbow partner, to complete a model of an organelle in the cell.
  • Students will label this model and present it to the class and place it in the large class model.
  • Microscopes
  • Slides
  • Lab Notebook
  • Model making materials

Students Need

• Vocab awareness
  • Content Guides
  • Books
 5 min Assessment

Formative:

Class presentation

Summative:

– Vocabulary Test Next Class

Students will “jigsaw” the models of the different organelles which they will present to the class. Copies of the vocabulary test for next class.
3 min Closure:

Fast facts about cells, and setting up for next lesson about organs

Students listen as I share some quick facts about cells and reference the article they read last class from the BBC setting up for the next lesson on organs. Leaving them with the take home point: Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute. While that sounds like a lot, it’s really just a small fraction of the cells that are in the human body. Estimates have placed the total number of cells in the body at 10-50 trillion so you can afford to lose a few hundred million without a hitch.

Fast Facts on Cells

Rationale for this lesson:

Through this lesson, student will be able to conceptualize what a cell looks like and the functions which are completed by the cell to sustain life (SCI 7.3.1). They will increase their content area vocabulary using the vocabulary awareness and concept guide to document their progress ((6-8 RS.4 & ELP 7.1). This lesson will allow them to discover various types of cells under the microscope and record their findings in a journal which allows them to model the actions of real scientists.

Assessment of Impact

It is impossible to say whether or not my help was effective for Jada, however, I did see some improvements in her attitude toward science and the classroom. She went from being completely sullen and non-participatory, to smiling at me when I came into the class and answering my questions more comfortably with less of a guarded attitude than when we began this process. I know how important it is as a young learner to feel like someone cares about your success in the classroom, and I hope I gave this to Jada for the few weeks I was able to work with her.

Unlike most students who do have a true problem with literacy in terms of reading, I could not solve Jada’s speaking and participation reluctancy in the classroom in a few weeks. Unfortunately it may take many years of careful and patient teachers to help this young girl feel comfortable taking risks learning in the classroom. I do feel that she could immediately benefit from organizing her thoughts in writing before she speaks in/to a group because it is true speaking is a type of literacy and competency. I would have liked to had the opportunity to explore this more with her and potentially plan for a class presentation that way I could have helped her develop this type of literacy skill.

Conclusions

Literacy in science is complex. It requires much more than just understanding vocabulary-it requires effective communication skills in reading, writing, and speaking on the very difficult topics of science. But this is how we engage in the scientific process. As a future teachers, I hope I can plan to help my students in each of these areas of science literacy. Jada provided a excellent model for how the insecurities of a middle level learner, one who identified herself as a competent reader, can effect a different aspect of scientific literacy (speaking and participation). Hopefully in my future classroom I can use what I have learned from this experience to be a reflective practitioner and engage my students in further learning and inquiry. I now feel that I can identify students who may be struggling in literacy and help them to become more comfortable, not only in my classroom so they can take risks in learning, but also with the difficulty of the subject matter. And ultimately this is what learning is about-removing or minimizing the adversity students are going through whether that be the pains of middle school or something more lasting like poverty- to maximize their abilities in the classroom and achieve academic success whatever that may based on each students ability level.

As the quote by Charles Lane Poor identified, topics in science are difficult and mysterious. They lead us down winding paths which we as learners and readers have to make sense. I would assert this starts at a very young age, and I hope through this experience I can now more effectively plan instruction using techniques to build strong content literacy and reading efficacy so my students will be science literate!

Citations

Payne, Ruby K. A Framework for Understanding Poverty. Highlands, TX: Aha! Process, 2005.

Vatterott, Cathy. Becoming a Middle Level Teacher: Student-focused Teaching of Early Adolescents. Boston: McGraw Hill, 2007.

Panorama Theme by Themocracy