Artist Reception at the Conrad

A room full of colorful artwork, artists and free food, of course Butler’s Art Program was interested. Art majors Taylor Sitorius, Amber Mills, and Jasmine Gonsalves accompanied Professor Elizabeth Mix to an artist’s reception on Tuesday, October 8 hosted at the Conrad Hotel in downtown Indianapolis. They had the privilege of meeting the talented 85-year-old artist, Lois Main Templeton.

Above from left to right: Lois, Amber, and Taylor

Twice showcased in the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Templeton creates vibrant combinations of contemporary art and poetry.

“I do take what I do seriously, but I don’t have to take myself seriously,” Lois said on Tuesday “It’s important to have a little levity, we all have enough gravity.”

Her works have been exhibited nationwide – with solo exhibits in seven states and four museums. Lois recently received the NUVO Lifetime Achievement Award as part of the Cultural Vision Awards; these established awards recognize outstanding individuals who bring originality, creativity, and innovation to the city of Indianapolis as a whole.

Lois has studios in Indiana and Maine.