Lifestyle

A table at Cafe Patachou

By Alisha Buaya

Posted 24th July 2013

image

Prior to arriving at Butler University I did research about the Indianapolis area and what it’s all about. I found quiet a few vibrant districts, all noteworthy but none more so that Broad Ripple. The Broad Ripple area – six miles north of Downtown Indianapolis – is a ideal place to get a good meal and I knew where I wanted to go.

image

My friends and I made our way to Cafe Patachou for brunch. It’s external features didn’t look too different from the neighbour surrounding it; a blue-green, double storey house. Its was understated. And understated is the new black. Greeted by the cool breeze of conditioned air the friendly waitress directs my party of three to the back.

The items on the menu are displayed in an elegant font. There are so many delicious items available. The ingredients used in the crepes are imported from France. All the produce used are fresh. The coffee are in cups that are larger than life and are equally aromatic.

imageOur table is served with a plate of crepes with strawberries and melted chocolate generously drizzled all over it. Another plate had a custom made omelette of spinach, tomato and ham, along with toast and a cup of the fresh seasons fruit. I had Petite Chou’s omelette of the day; ham, mushroom, green peppers. I was never a fan of peppers of any kind, however this dish (and quiet possibly this dish only) turned me. I also had toast and a cup the seasonal fruits. By the end of the sitting we were filled. The food was delicious and fresh. And as a student on a budget and conscious about spending, it was value for money and far from processed and canned.

Indy CD and Vinyl

By Caroline Simpson

Posted 23rd July 2013

One of the great joys about vintage shopping is the nostalgia that you feel as you flick through the racks of clothing, view the old-fashioned household goods and reminisce about music that has come and gone. If collecting new or old records and CD’s is your thing then Indy CD and Vinyl is just the right place for you.

I’ve spent a lot of the time over the years searching through vintage stores, chatting to shop owners, and finding new and old goodies. Rick, the stores record reviewer is a classic chilled out rock-n-roll kinda guy, who loves to chat about music.

We had an amazing chat about some local Australian bands and I happily gave him my suggestions to add to his collection. Namely Tame Impala, Midnight Juggernauts and Goyte (I did not suggest ‘Somebody that I used to Know’), however, I suggested that he should add Like Drawing Blood to his collection.

If you imagine a classic, old school styled record store, then Indy CD and Vinyl will pretty much live up to all your expectations. Covered in posters, with endless collections to search through. Make Indy CD and Vinyl a must on your vintage search through both Broad Ripple and Indianapolis.

The New Social Scene

By Johnathan Heng

Posted 23rd July 2013

drinks

Welcome to Kilroy’s Bar and Grill in Broad Ripple where all over age adults can drink to their hearts content. This place is decked out with many television screens for the viewing pleasure of hardcore sports fans and tunes for those who want to mellow out and enjoy the night away.

During the week, they cater for their patrons by offering cheap drinks such as half price Wednesdays or $4 long island ice tea Mondays. If the alcohol doesn’t entice you, there is plenty of other entertainment to be had by just sitting on one of the many tables near the bar.

bar 2

You can experience first hand how American males and females interact in a bar setting where normally the male approaches the female with a drink in hand and would offer to buy said female an alcoholic beverage. This may not be the case for some.

American males have lost that sense of being a gentleman and instead of buying these females drinks; they continue to hit on them whilst taking many sips of their drinks, which just shows that today’s generation has become stingier. So just a tip for the guys out there trying to score; dig deep and learn to shout drinks!

A Hidden Challenge

By Laura Franklin

Posted 23rd July 2013

1013199_10151677942066878_1888128011_n

Tucked away in a corner of the forest at Butler University is a summer challenge that will release your inner wild child. This summer break Butler has offered five free sessions where anyone from the age of 12 can come and take part in. This 16-element course will increase confidence and bravery after each obstacle is completed approximately 40 ft. above the ground.

Upon arrival the friendly staff will help you put on you’re harness and helmet and go through a short safety instruction before letting you choose you’re way up onto the course. There are a few different ways to get up including rock climbing wall, a spider net and a swinging ladder; all tests of strength and will power.

164901_10151677942021878_91080810_n

Once up on the course there are logs to climb, ropes to balance on and hanging swings to walk across. Once you’ve completed everything or have simply had enough one of the staff will assist you in getting lowered down or if you have a bit more bravery left you can take on the giant swing; get clipped on, take a deep breath and slide off the edge!

Some students who went to the last session absolutely loved it; here is what they have to say about it:

I’ve always struggled with heights; however, I knew the course was something I wanted to do. Although I was scared at some points I knew I could do it and that I was safe. I was really proud of my efforts and glad I stepped up to the challenge.

-Lauren Brice

It was an experience like no other. Trusting your mortality to a mere rope and harness changes your perspective on life and pushes the ideal that if you don’t keep pushing forward, you’ll be stuck in a standstill, forever losing to fear.

-Johnathan Heng

I was apprehensive of doing the course to begin with because I have a fear of heights. Even though I didn’t go all over the course, just climbing up to the top was an amazing experience.

-Alisha Buaya

67898_10151677940676878_1442479536_n

These free sessions have been going on since May and the last one is Saturday, August 3rd at 10am till 2pm. So if you are willing to take on the challenge the staff will love to see you there.

Monument Circle

By Sarah Webster

Posted 23rd July 2013

monumentcircle_01

Are you looking for something to do while in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. Then you should check out the quite popular Monument Circle. Monument Circle has many places to dine and stay but also the big attraction of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument that attract people to the area.

So if you are interested in history then the monument might be something you want to visit as there is the Civil War Museum, open Fri- Sun 10:30am- 5:30pm.

There is also many cafes such as the Chocolate Café and Potbelly Sandwich Shop plus more. In addition there are some nice hotels to stay in Columbia Club and Sheraton Indianapolis City Center and more.

With Monument Circle being very central downtown this makes it inviting for tourist looking for something to do.

For more information, visit: http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-soldiers-sailors-monument-monument-circle