IMA Experience

Last week I went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields. Surprisingly, this was my first time attending the museum even though I am in my Junior year. I would have to say I enjoyed my experience especially the ancient Chinese artifacts they had which relates to class. I was not aware of the large selection of ancient artifacts they had including some stuff that was from the B.C era. I genuinely learned a good amount from this experience through the pieces in the museum, I could see the teachings of people like Confucius and other Chinese philosophers in some of the pieces. Overall, it was pretty astounding to see such old relics and see that they could still be used today, they were really ahead of their time. Another section of the museum that I enjoyed was the Imperial and Warlord era of Japan, they had many samurai swords and brief descriptions about how they were made and when they were used I found this very fascinating. I have always found ancient Asia extremely interesting not only the culture, but the geography and architecture as well. Specifically, ancient China was one of the most advanced ancient civilizations in my opinion.

Besides the art pieces that were related to class I also enjoyed many of the other exhibits especially the modern art. I have never really been a huge fan of modern art, but the IMA surprised me on this one, I noticed that a lot of the modern pieces included some sort of illusion or deeper meaning, which I thought was pretty cool. I was keeping an eye out for exhibits from the Middle East region, but did not find anything. In general, I found this trip fascinating and enjoyed being able to relate some of my knowledge from class to the pieces in the museum. Also, I would like to say that Benny and Hanako were great hosts they definitely enhanced my experience.