Cultural Differences in Indiana

From my time at my ICR (IPS Newcomer), I noticed how ethnic it is there. Many cultures are thrown into that school and can be overwhelming to those who haven’t been exposed to such a diverse community. Growing up, I went to an all white school and it never hit me that I was different from them since I never really saw color as a child. When I first went off to college I went to University of Southern Indiana (USI) for my freshman year. The community there is wayyyyy more diverse than my hometown school. The ratio for black to white had a closer gap, as in a 4:5 ratio rather than a 1:5. Also, more Hispanics, Asians, Muslim, Indian, and even Egyptians; were also very high compared to other colleges in the Midwest. I took the opportunity to be really involved there for both semesters. This past thanksgiving I reconnected with some fellow students who I was close with when I was there. These students and I were actually apart of a scholarship program at USI. The scholarship was the Harolyn Torain Multicultural Scholarship. Moreover, during break I wanted to ask them how college has been and how different the community there is versus where they grew up. Those who I asked were, Oceana (African-American), Taylor (Egyptian), Shannon (Asian), and Humaad (Pakistani).

Shannon and Taylor both agreed they came from not so diverse schools growing up and how they were surprised when they came to USI to see how diverse it was. They both are involved in clubs that not only apply to their culture but also other cultures. Taylor is in an all Hispanic Women’s Club, Jewish Club, and Indian Club. Shannon is in Asian-Indian Club and attends a bible study group. They both have shared how much more comfortable they feel when exploring other cultures and learning more about them. Oceana said how she really didn’t feel an adjustment since she attended Indianapolis Public Schools, whereas I’ve come to learn how diverse they are from volunteering at them. One of the main reasons she chose to attend USI is because how at home she felt and welcomed. However, Humaad is from Chicago and was also comfortable with the diversity however, he said not many Pakistanis’, or those who identified as Muslim were in his school; or made it known they studied Muslim. But coming to USI he has joined an all Muslims Society Club and has been able to make that connection and feel open with other students in the community.

Moreover, all of them has expressed how much they’ve learned from one another’s culture, as well as, from their other classmates. I talked more with Humaad since of our recent topic in class. I asked him many questions that have I’ve thought about in class and from the readings/documentaries. From the documentary Not Without My Viel, I noticed how Muslim women who practiced in villages or cities were different compared to those who practiced in the deserts. Women in the desert, more constricted by their clothing were allowed more social freedoms than those in the cities. With that being said, I asked Humaad if he ever felt constricted/ or ever felt not free to be himself at schools in the past and has it changed now? He explained how during primary schools he tried to hide himself since many would make the stereotypes or not feel comfortable sitting next to him because of how the media has pushed negative views on Muslims onto the public. He did make some friends but any discussions/chatter around religion he would try to steer away from since majority of his friends at high school were Christian. But, now he feels he has the freedom at USI since of it’s diverse community. He feels he can express/talk about religion without feeling uncomfortable or having stares. “People actually want to listen and learn about it [Muslim].” Elaborated how many actually compare it to their religion nowadays and go into discussions on the history around both of them as they compare/contrast.

Their responses have made me so happy to see how much they feel free in the community they are in right now, and to hear how happy they are at college still. I have really enjoyed this course and being able to talk about topics that many people today still struggle to bring up. Being able to talk about any topic should feel normal and people should be able to listen to one another without feeling/or pushing an opinion on someone. This class has not only given me knowledge on other cultures but also has taught me to keep my ears open when someone of a different culture than me is talking. Also, the drive to engage in conversation/ learn about other religions than me.