Horizons: 8th Grade and a Force for Good

This summer, our 8th graders are exploring how to be a force for good in their communities.  Nick Stewart, the 8th grade lead teacher, has focused that exploration around creating proposals for non-profits that the students see a need for in their neighborhood.  Mr. Stewart shared his thoughts behind the project, and his goal for what his students will take away from their work creating non-profit proposals.  “My purpose is for them to see that they have the power to change things, and to take a real chance at making it happen.  We use this as an opportunity to practice academic skills and to practice formal communication.  My hope is that they walk away from this project more aware of the community around them, and feeling like they are able to walk into any room and conduct business.  They naturally want to help their community.  I think by giving them the tools and the process to do so, we are empowering them to carry out their own ideas and to improve where they live.”

8th grade

Each student has developed a plan for a non-profit that addresses a community need that is close to home for them, and that plan will be publicly shared during an end-of-summer proposal presentation.  Three of our 8th graders shared the early stages of their proposals, and their hopes for where their ideas will go.

20160622_140558

Raymond

“I’m planning on making gardens, and giving the food to local food banks and restaurants to people who need them.  I hope that the places give to people who can’t get food for themselves and give it to them for no pay.  It will help local people in the community, so they won’t starve.  They can eat and end up getting back on their feet, they can start getting jobs, be rehabilitated.”

20160622_140624

Sean

“My idea is to open up a rehabilitation center for people who abuse drugs.  It will feature a job fair and job training, give people a place to stay for a while, a temporary place, and make sure that they stop their habits.  I hope it gets approved, that it actually happens.”

20160622_140615

Allison

“I’m trying to make a food truck.  It would provide jobs for people who can’t get them.  It will help fight hunger, and every meal that is sold will give a meal to the homeless.  And since it’s on the go, transportation is the issue with restaurants, we will come to them.  Right now I’m hoping it gets off the ground, I’m just trying to make a difference.”

Allison also shared her thoughts on the project as a whole.  “This is to make our community better, take initiative and try to help our community.  Not just think about ourselves, try to get everyone involved with problems that are just getting overlooked.”

Be on the lookout for more news on the progress of this project in 8th grade, as well as the other projects our middle school students are focusing on at Butler this summer!

Tagged on: