Mar 12 2012

The Worms are Changing…

Posted at 4:09 pm under Argus

Ruth describes the life cycle of a worm.

Messi creates a worm.

Greetings! I am back from my professional development trip to Portland and I am so happy to be back! It was great to see all of the kids this morning and I got lots of hugs- definitely filled up my bucket. 🙂 The kids had lots of questions about the school I visited and what life in Portland, OR is like. We had many questions about what the children from Portland were like.

When I came in this morning, Da’Sean and Messi had news about the worms- they had eaten almost ALL of our leaves and newspaper in the compost bin. WOW! It took those worms only about a week to turn all of that material into rich, black, nutrient filled soil. The kids also remarked on the increase of egg cases on the worms- signs they have mated and are carrying baby worms! We pulled out a few worms to observe other changes. Miss Schmidt and I asked the kids to represent the changes in the worms using clay or various ribbons and string.

The more he eats, the fatter he gets! Ruth

And the longer he gets! Carriea

What if we twist those around? Its an egg case! They got an egg case! And when the eggs are inside, and when the case comes off it turns into… Messi

Its a cocoon and baby worms come out! Aidan

We knew that! Da’Sean

We all knew that! Tajanaye

My worms are gonna have eyes, but they don’t really have em. This one is long, this one is shorter. The long one ate more. Here’s an egg case! Tajanaye

I made five baby worms! How many hearts are there? Aidan

I made a little worm with five hearts. Regan

He doesn’t have hands or legs. He just has hearts! Aidan

It all starts with an egg case. Ruth

How many hearts are in one worm?

Carriea and Regan show off their worm and egg case.

No responses yet

Comments RSS