Home Sports Wilmer Cabrera Jr. Feature

Wilmer Cabrera Jr. Feature

1053
0
SHARE

Imagine being incredibly good at a sport. Whatever sport you played the most growing up, whether it be baseball, football, soccer, or basketball. Now imagine yourself being 19-years-old. Full ride to one of the best collegiate soccer programs. After all that, imagine still being too good for that.

Imagining this absolutely absurd vision isn’t hard at all for former Butler Soccer player Wilmer Cabrera Jr.

Growing up, Wilmer’s dad, Wilmer Cabrera Sr., was a professional soccer player. Wilmer Sr. made his first professional appearance at the age of 17 for Independiente Sante Fe where he played five seasons, netting 22 goals in 61 appearances as a right back. Wilmer Sr. then went on the play for eight other professional teams on his way to retirement after 18 successful years of competition.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Wilmer Jr. had a very successful youth career starting with the Colorado Rapids academy team before playing at IMG Academy for three years. Following his time at IMG, he announced that he would be joining the Houston Dynamo’s USL affiliate team the Brazos Valley Cavalry.

Following an incredible youth and senior career, Wilmer Jr. Made the switch from playing with clubs to playing for Butler University, coming aboard the team in October 2019.

Wilmer Jr. had an immediate impact on the program. In 20 games played he was able to record 19 points (8 G, 3 A) which was second to senior forward Brandon Guhl who had 21 points (9 G, 3 A).

Wilmer Jr. received Big East Freshman of the Week honors several times in his debut season and was named to the Top Drawer Soccer Best XI National Team, United Soccer Coaches All-Region Third Team, as well as the Big East Freshman of the Year.

Although he had a dominate year with Butler, Wilmer Jr. had decided to play professionally under his father in his native country of Columbia. “My time at Butler helped me mature not only as an athlete but also as a person,” said Wilmer Jr. “It gave me experiences I would not have gotten anywhere else and allowed me to meet a lot of amazing people that shaped me into the person I am today. I’m really grateful for the opportunity I got at butler and can say it helped me immensely.”

Stay on the lookout for Wilmer Jr. in the future. He is going to be doing big and great things.