ICR Reflection

This semester I had the opportunity to participate in the ICR component for GHS 208. After having found interest in Chinese culture during the beginning of the semester I decided to volunteer for the Indianapolis Association of Chinese Americans (IACA). While the experience was short in time I gained a lot of knowledge and experience that I’ll take with me for the rest of my life.

One of the best experiences I had this semester occurred during the first couple weeks of school, a lunch that the entire class was invited to. The lunch was the first time I was able to meet Benny and Kwan, two members of the IACA. We all enjoyed traditional Chinese food while discussing a range of topics from the Hong Kong protests to what living in China is actually like. I was able to gain a first hand account of people who actually lived in the country, something I’ve never experienced before.

Another fun opportunity this semester was visiting Newfields museum. Benny personally took me and a couple other students on a tour of Newfields during a beautiful October day. We got to see the gardens outside and then headed inside for the exhibits. One of the coolest pieces of art I saw was an earthenware sculpture of a man on his camel. While this doesn’t sound particularly interesting this piece was quite special because it depicted a caucasian man riding the camel. The sculpture was produced around 700AD, placing its origin during the Tang dynasty. The piece showed just how interconnected East Asia was with the Europeans. A prime example of how the Silk Road bridged culture gaps between the two “sides” of the world.

One of the most fun experiences was getting to participate in the Indianapolis International Festival. The first day was interesting because we had the chance to meet with the IACA and interact with the various cultural booths set up. Getting an opportunity to speak with people of a myriad of backgrounds in such a compact space was really cool. I got to see just how similar yet different we are as people, even though our lineages may be from opposite sides of the globe. The second day of the international festival I got to participate in the Lion Dance, a traditional Chinese dance which symbolize’s good luck. The experience was super fun and I got to connect with the Chinese community in a way I never would have if not for ICR.

To sum up my ICR experience overall I had a lot of fun. Participating in various activities brought me out of my comfort zone. The experiences opened up my mind and made me realize that not everybody lives their lives in a similar manner. That while we’re all human we have a special cultural identify which helps define who we are. Understanding and mingling with different cultures helps you gain more perspective on the world, leading to a greater level of critical thinking on issues you encounter everyday.