Mar 20 2011

Dr. Shelley’s Dream

Posted at 12:45 pm under Lab School News

Mr. Smith, Dr. Fong, Dr. White and Dr. Shelley at signing ceremony

Learning and teaching should not stand on opposite banks and just watch the river flow by;

instead, they should embark together in a journey down the water.  Through an active,

reciprocal exchange, teaching can strengthen learning how to learn.

-Loris Malaguzzi, founder of the Reggio Emilia approach

For almost two decades I have dreamed of creating a laboratory school based upon the Reggio Emilia approach for the College of Education at Butler University and now the dream is becoming a reality.  I respectfully thank Dr. Eugene White, Superintendent of Indianapolis Public Schools and Dr. Bobby Fong, President of Butler University for their visionary leadership in providing this opportunity to create a new model of education for the Indianapolis community.

I believe that a university has an obligation to enrich and support the community and as Malaguzzi stated, the exchange is reciprocal.  Our involvement in the community enriches the university and influences and informs our thinking and educational practices.  The children in the community are ALL our children and the laboratory school provides an exciting way to “journey down the water” together!

One of the key principles of the Reggio Emilia approach is a strong image of the child.  That image means that ALL children are capable, competent, powerful learners who will thrive in a learning environment that is created to unleash their knowledge, nourish their curiosity and creativity, and value multiple ways of learning and being.  Through in-depth studies of projects and using the arts as a way to express their interpretations of the world, children will develop necessary skills but more importantly be able to apply them in multiple ways and be able to think more deeply and abstractly.  For children living in the 21st century, the ability to analyze, problem solve, and learn in multiple ways is a must!

The children in this new school will be surrounded with caring teachers, university faculty and students who will collaborate to create rich learning experiences that support each child.  We look forward to working closely with the families and to truly creating a learning community that empowers everyone.  Recently I was asked if I had any reservations about the quality of creating a school with so many unqiue aspects to it. I replied, “I’m sending my grandchildren to this school, need I say more?”   I have the utmost respect for Mr. Ron Smith, principal of the school, and I know the high standards he has for his teaching staff.  My Butler colleagues are amazing educators and the Butler students are exceptionally talented.  I can only imagine the magnificent school that is about to unfold beginning the fall of 2011.

Walt Disney said:  “All of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.”  The opening of the IPS/Butler Laboratory School is evidence for me that he was correct!  Together we will make the dreams for our children come true!

No responses yet

Comments are closed at this time.