Home Sports Q&A: Emma Spotts, Butler Women’s Swimming Gear Up for BIG EAST Championship

Q&A: Emma Spotts, Butler Women’s Swimming Gear Up for BIG EAST Championship

1542
0
SHARE
Butler's Emma Spotts alongside other BIG EAST competitors. Photo provided by Emma Spotts.
By Catalina Gallegos

The Butler women’s swimming team will compete at Long Island, New York from Wednesday, Feb. 20 to Saturday, Feb. 23 for the 2019 BIG EAST Championship.

I met with sophomore Emma Spotts to talk about her thoughts going into the championship. Spotts set the Butler school record in the 100 and 200 breaststroke events at the BIG EAST Championship last year.

With her past success in mind, she answers a few questions about how she thinks the team will do this year.

Q: What are you looking forward to this season as compared to last season when you went not knowing what to expect?

A: I am looking forward to seeing the team’s dynamic from this season at the meet. Especially the freshmen class because they have done so well already. I think that the environment will just push them even harder.

Q: What are some strengths and weaknesses that you have already seen the team go through this season?

A: I think we are a pretty well-balanced team which is a huge strength. We’re the only women’s only team in the conference, which does get tough during men’s events, but we do great no matter the obstacle.

Q: With some of the weaknesses, how do you how have you overcome challenges this season?

A: A lot of the girls, myself included, have had injuries this season, but I think we have done a great job at pushing ourselves as much as we can.

Q: What do you believe the BIG EAST Championship overall outcome will be, if you had to make a prediction?

A: Tough question, I think we will have a couple of girls make A final and most of the team has the ability to make B final. It’s definitely going to be an exciting meet.  

The Bulldogs have a positive attitude as they prepare to enter the meet. With 374 points, the Villanova Wildcats lead the BIG EAST. Butler sits in sixth place with 85 points.

For schedules, updates, live results and links to live coverage visit the 2019 BIG EAST Swimming & Diving Championship Central page.