a story by [tamia]

One day I got in trouble and had to go to the dean’s office. I got in trouble for fighting. The dean called my mom to come and get me. The next ten or fifteen minutes went past and I thought to myself, “Life couldn’t get any worse.”

When my mom pulled up she didn’t say anything, but I knew inside she was extremely angry. On the radio on the way home there was a chance to win two tickets to go to the game, Thunder were playing the Spurs. My mom pulled into a Pizza Hut parking lot, handed me her phone and told me to start calling. So I did. I called a good 10-20 times, and before I even realized, WE’D WON.

I went to the game with my mom, because she loves basketball. I thought that she’d forgotten all about the fact that I had gotten in trouble at school. We walked in and watched the game. The whole time this player named Kevin Durant was playing better than anyone else. Me and my mom wanted to meet him, but we thought about it and knew it was out of reach. So we chuckled, and then the game was over and we left.

But we got lost in the parking garage. When I was trying to find the car, I ran out not paying attention and got hit by a black Ferrari.

My mom ran over to me. The driver jumped out of the car, and low and behold, it was Kevin Durant. He helped my mom pick me up and put me in the back seat of his car. My mom got in and they sped off to the hospital. Kevin sat in the waiting room all night to find out if I was okay. The whole time my mom and Kevin were sitting in the waiting room together my mom was so sad, and Kevin was keeping her company. The doctor came out and told them that they could visit me, but that I was only half conscious.

When my mom and this other guy walked in, I knew he wasn’t my dad. He and my mom were divorced, and he was away at war. So I was very confused. My mom told me that I had three fractured ribs and a broken left arm. I stopped listening and started focusing on the guy in the corner. He looked extremely shocked, but I was just focused on his face. All of the sudden, I realized that it was Kevin Durant. My mom told me he accidentally hit me and he felt really bad so he’d brought me to the hospital and paid all the expenses. Me and my mom had actually met Kevin Durant!

The doctor released me from the hospital, and Kevin still felt really bad, so he gave me and my mom a ride home, because the parking garage was closed.

He picked me up out of the car and my mom put me in bed. Kevin went into the kitchen and started to make me soup. My mom said it was okay, but he insisted on making me soup. So he made me the soup and then sat in a chair and read me story after story until I had fallen asleep. Then Kevin fell asleep! My mom walked in and covered me with a blanket. She did the same for Kevin.

The next morning, before me or my mom had woken, Kevin went and bought food to make breakfast for us.

Later I started to notice that Kevin stopped going home very often, and that him and my mother were speaking on a more intimate level. I thought it was pretty interesting. My dad and mom had only been divorced for three years. I was still pretty hung up on that, so I didn’t want my mom in another relationship so I sat my mom down and talked to her. She said that she they a really great connection and that Kevin could never replace my dad. I felt a little better the next day that Kevin came over. I talked to him and told him to never hurt my mom, and to treat her right or things were going to get ugly.

Time went by and on Christmas morning I had opened all my gifts and was as happy as could be. Then my mom handed me a little rectangular box and I opened it. It had a piece of paper inside that said my mom was pregnant. I was so happy I couldn’t stop grinning from ear to ear. One day after me and my mom had a girls day out and we were on our way home when we saw our street filled with our family and friends dressed in fancy clothes. We pulled up and a song started. Then Kevin appeared from out of nowhere in a white Tuxedo. Me and my mom got out of the car. Kevin kneeled down on one knee…

Tagged with: