Nov 30 2011

Goldfish and Multiplecation

Posted at 3:54 pm under Argus

Carriea- "Five, ten, fifteen, twenty..."

Today we had goldfish for snack. Lately, the kids have been very interested in the concept of equity and making sure everyone has the same amount or about the same amount. After each child is distributed snack each day, they started lining up and counting their snack to check how many they have. Today, Carriea did something really interesting. She called me over to look at her snack and it was lined up in six rows of five goldfish each. She said, “Look Mrs. Argus! I can count by fives and find out how many!” She then proceeded to count her rows, “Five, ten fifteen, twenty, twenty-five, thirty! I have thirty goldfish today!” What neat a real life application of the importance of counting by 5’s and using multiplecation. With all this counting and eating, I think we are running a little low on snack. If your family is able, any donations of animal crackers, goldfish, or pretzels would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I also want to remind you that tomorrow is our Family Math Night from 6-7 here at the Lab School! Bring your family to play!

No responses yet

Comments RSS