Blue’s Blog

Tales from The Trip

I Leave You with ‘Thanks’

True to the prognosis I’ve recently been given, my health is now in serious decline. I sense the end is near as my heart rate is increasing in an effort to capture more precious oxygen. Frankly, it’s hard work and quite exhausting. I wish I felt better, but I’ve known for a while that my best days were behind me.

So while I still have a little stamina left, I thought I would pen one last blog post for Pops to post after I’m gone. I know it’s morbid and sad, but given my hospitalization and near death experience just a few weeks ago, I’m lucky to still be around to do this.

So with that, I say thank you. Over the last nine years, the Butler faithful have not only accepted me as their official mascot, but your pride in me has also made me America’s Dog. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no dog has lived such a charmed life.

I owe a debt of gratitude to so many. I say thank you to everyone affiliated with Butler University, to my fans all over the world, my sponsors, my medical staff, my friends, and most of all, my family. It’s been and honor and a privilege to serve as your mascot and THE Butler Bulldog.

I’ve done my best to leave my mark on the job and this great University. I hope that I’ve left this place better than I found it. Regardless, I have no regrets as I gave it my all.

I hope that you will remember me fondly, and when you do think of me, you’ll think about what I would want you to do for Butler University.

Speaking of which, I do have one last request. My friends at Butler have lovingly planned a Bulldog Memorial to honor and remember me, the live mascots who came before me, and the lucky Dawgs who will follow in my footsteps. While the plans are still coming together, I can tell you that the memorial will include a bronze bulldog sculpted in my likeness, as well as a brick doghouse where my remains and those of my successors will reside eternally. Fittingly, the memorial will be prominently situated in the shadows of Hinkle Fieldhouse, easily accessible for all to enjoy.

The graduating class of 2013 got the ball rolling this past year by committing their senior class gift toward the project. We have a long way to go, however, so please consider adding your support to the Bulldog Memorial. Large or small, your contribution would mean the world to me. Knowing that my friends and fans are a bunch of overachievers, any funds raised beyond those needed for the Bulldog Memorial will support my home away from home, Hinkle Fieldhouse.

So with that, I’m signing off for good. I’m handing the reigns of this blog over to my successor, partner-in-crime, and adopted brother, Blue III (Trip). He has great character, is really holding his own as mascot, and is gracefully following in my footsteps. Show him the same love that you’ve shown to me and the kid is going to be just fine.

Again, my sincere thanks for nine incredible years. My work here is done. God bless Butler University and Go Dawgs!

Your Mascot,

Butler Blue II

Good Boy, Blue!

After much anticipation, the Butler Blue children's book, "Good Boy, Blue!" is finally off to print. Butler fans and kids of all ages are sure to love this heartwarming story and iconic illustrations.

Pre-order your copy today!

Get Your Pup a Blue III PetBox

Treat your best friend with a Blue III PetBox! After all, doesn't your dog deserve the very best? Blue III has teamed with PetBox to load up a box each month with the latest and greatest in treats, toys, and pet products. Proceeds benefit Butler's live mascot program too!

Order a Blue III PetBox today!

The Big Dawgs Tour

The Butler University Big Dawgs Tour rides again! From January through March, our beloved Bulldog, Butler Blue III will be venturing away from campus to spread some Butler cheer and follow the men's basketball team as they take on new BIG EAST opponents.

Be sure to follow along and enter yourself into the Big Dawgs Tour Contest!

Copyright ©2012. All Rights Reserved.