Blue’s Blog

Tales from The Trip

Same Name, New Author

It’s Monday, September 30, 2013, which means that this week marks a month since Butler Blue II passed. He was my brother from another mother, my mentor, my friend, my predecessor, and most of all, my hero. I miss him terribly.Blue and Trip Nap Time

However, this transition has maybe been easier on me than anyone else. After all, I learned from the best, so I’m confident in my training to follow in Blue’s illustrious footsteps. But more than that, when Blue II passed, he did so as a legend; setting the bar for not just live mascots at Butler University, but live mascots around the world.

So when we said our goodbyes that Saturday morning, August 31, 2013, we did so with a peace of understanding. Blue II, satisfied with a job well done, knew that this was the circle of mascot life. And by that point I had come to understand that it was my time to lead the charge, knowing full well that I would someday (hopefully long from now) also be in Blue’s position, saying goodbye to my successor.

But that’s just the “business” side of things. Beneath all of that, Blue knew that his best days were behind him. He was hurting and he was tired. He wasn’t willing to quit keeping on, but it wasn’t fair to him to fight such a losing battle. All the while, I was hurting for him. It was stressful to see a dog so strong become so humbled and weak. I knew he was suffering. I knew it was time. We knew it was time.

Pay HomageI’ll never forget that morning he left our home and never came back. I got busy right away being the family pet and mascot he would’ve wanted me to be. When my parents came home from that arduous task, I turned on the charm, reassuring them that everything was going to be alright. And ever since, when it has been time to go to campus, run the football team on the field, pose for pictures, or just be there for a student who needs a little therapy, I’ve done my best to emulate the legend, Blue II.

So it’s been quite a month. I thank you all for accepting me as your mascot in the wake of Blue II’s passing. Your support has made the transition easy.  

Speaking of support, your response to Blue II’s passing has been incredible and very healing. We have received tweets, e-mails, messages, texts, cards, hugs, handshakes, gifts, flowers, and an overall outpouring of support beyond measure. Even in his passing, Blue II still had a way of bringing the Butler community together. That’s the stuff of legends!

And they say that legends never die. Well, I suspect Blue II’s legendary status will reach Paul Bunyan-like proportions with future crops of students telling tall tales about his escapades. Regardless, thanks to your support, his memory and likely his legend, will live forever through a new Bulldog Memorial on campus.

I don’t have much in the way of imagery or details for the memorial yet, but I can say that thanks to your support, it is a done deal. We will have a live mascot memorial on campus to pay tribute to those bulldogs who have gone before me, and those who will follow in my steps as well. The coolest part though, is that there will be a bronze bulldog sculpted in Blue II’s likeness that will reside at the memorial. That’s pretty legendary.

When I have more details and images for the memorial, I’ll be sure to share. Until then, rest assured, your support will soon make the memorial a reality on Butler’s campus.

Well, I guess I’ve said about enough. Not bad for my first blog post! Oh yeah, that’s what I got on here to tell you in the first place…I’m taking over Blue’s blog now. I am a “Blue,” so naturally the name will remain the same. The blog will now just be filled with insights from yours truly and in honor of a legend, of course.

Go Dawgs!

Blue III (Trip)

Good Boy, Blue!

After much anticipation, the Butler Blue children's book, "Good Boy, Blue!" is finally off to print. Butler fans and kids of all ages are sure to love this heartwarming story and iconic illustrations.

Pre-order your copy today!

Get Your Pup a Blue III PetBox

Treat your best friend with a Blue III PetBox! After all, doesn't your dog deserve the very best? Blue III has teamed with PetBox to load up a box each month with the latest and greatest in treats, toys, and pet products. Proceeds benefit Butler's live mascot program too!

Order a Blue III PetBox today!

The Big Dawgs Tour

The Butler University Big Dawgs Tour rides again! From January through March, our beloved Bulldog, Butler Blue III will be venturing away from campus to spread some Butler cheer and follow the men's basketball team as they take on new BIG EAST opponents.

Be sure to follow along and enter yourself into the Big Dawgs Tour Contest!

Copyright ©2012. All Rights Reserved.