Blue’s Blog

Tales from The Trip

Butler Blue II – What I’ve Learned (Second Installment)

Besides Christmas, the New Year, basketball games and the other fanfare that accompanies this time of year, one of the things I’ve come to look forward to the most is Esquire Magazine’s annual, “The Meaning of Life” issue, which is hitting news stands now. It’s the January 2012  installment with George Clooney on the cover.

Back in my old blogging days, I was inspired by Esquire and their regular “What I’ve Learned” feature and “The Meaning of Life” issue to ponder and write about what I’ve learned in this famed, four-legged life of mine.

If you’re unfamiliar, Esquire’s approach for this feature is to focus on a famous person and basically capture their life lessons, in their own words, usually on one page, and often with some sort of poignant/introspective photograph.

(One of the best “What I’ve Learned” editions of all time belongs to legendary basketball coach and fellow Hoosier, John Wooden.)

Along these same lines, I also participated in a Proust Questionnaire for local marketing agency, Silver Square and you may remember that I added my two cents for Indianapolis Monthly a while back.

I originally wrote my version of “What I’ve Learned” in honor of my sixth birthday. That was nearly two years ago now and since then, I’ve witnessed two Final Four appearances by my Bulldogs, accepted the arrival of a human baby brother to the world, said goodbye to one Butler President and welcomed another, and solidified myself as “Butler’s mascot, America’s Dog.” That’s quite a a lot.

This doesn’t mean that my perspectives from two years ago are invalid; quite the contrary as words of wisdom tend to stand the test of time. See for yourself and click below to read them.

[showhide type=”involved” more_text=”Show Butler Blue II: What I’ve Learned (March 24, 2010) (%s More Words)” less_text=”Hide Butler Blue II: What I’ve Learned (March 24, 2010)(%s Less Words)” hidden=”yes”]

Mascot, 6, Indianapolis

The infamous Butler University mascot, now six years-old, on being a dog, The Butler Way, and Blue III.

Cliché, or cheesy, that’s how some people describe “The Butler Way.” That’s fine, but the core of its message you just can’t get sneeze at…especially in today’s society.

The Butler Way…demands commitment, denies selfishness,accepts reality, yet seeks improvement everydaywhile putting the team above self.

You ever hear the saying, “God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason?” Yeah, same here, only I can’t articulate with that mouth. My intuition is second-to-none and ohhhhh, if this dog could talk!

My mind is like a steal trap. I never forget.

When people make over me and really get down on my level for a good scratching, it’s really therapy for them. They’ll say that it’s all about me and giving me the attention I deserve, and there’s some truth to that, but those are the people that truly find my presence therapeutic as well.

I’m not for everyone. I get that. Some people just aren’t “dog people.” And frankly, some people aren’t for me.

“Dog people” are some of the most compassionate people that walk the earth.

Butler has not always had an official live mascot. They’re getting better at it all the time. I’m constantly training them. The question remains, how will they honor me when I’m gone?

The power of sleep can never be underestimated.

George Clinton once said, “…nuthin’ but the dog in me.” He must have been a dog in a previous life. He knows.

The entire Butler family will forever be indebted to the university’s current president, Dr. Bobby Fong. Love him or hate him, the man has vision, and has been a true leader behind the university’s growth and success.

Bobby Fong will leave Butler better than the way he found it. I hope I’m so fortunate.

I was born for this job. Refer to the saying that “not all bulldogs are created equal” for proof.
I’ve embraced the role of mascot and it has embraced me.

A lot of people and businesses have generously offered their care, goods and services for my well-being. If only I could tell them how much it means to me.

From my behavior and conduct, to my blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc., I’ve done my best to self-promote, pull my weight, and shine in my own limelight. However, it’s the acceptance of the Butler community and the success of the university that has truly made me the mascot that I am today.

My breeder mentioned something to my dad about Butler Blue III coming on the scene in a few years and suggested I’d make a good trainer/mentor. I suppose I’ll be up for that when the time comes. It’s my duty.

I will embrace death knowing that I lived as full of life as a dog could live and hoping that my legacy takes on the likes of Paul Bunyan or Chuck Norris.

My parents will be a wreck when it’s time for me to meet my maker.

The English Bulldog might be the most misunderstood breed of all time.

The success of the Butler men’s basketball team won’t last forever. People need to realize just how rare and exceptional all of this is. I’d like to tell our administration, our alumni, our fans , our faculty, our staff, and even our players to take every advantage of it, but that’s putting it too lightly. Just look at the likes of UCLA, Arizona, Indiana and North Carolina these days. We’re not even half their size either, thus making our situation all that much more precious. Carpe diem, Butler University. Carpe diem.

All ships rise because of our basketball success, even academic programs. Those that can’t get behind it are missing opportunities of their own and shared greatness for the university.

Living is running the football team onto the field. Living is running across the basketball court to grab my bone from the Dawg Pound. Living is destroying a basketball in a matter of seconds. Living is riding in my tail wagon. Living is devouring ice cream. Living is being loved and loving right back.

Just when I think I’m calling the shots, my dad reminds me who is the “alpha dog.”

“Bulldogs ever do or die.” Butler Bulldogs of all ages, races and creeds; take heed!

[/showhide]

The significant events over the last couple of years, coupled with life in general, has just given me pause and much to ponder. Thus, my desire to share another installment of “What I’ve Learned.” I hope you enjoy it.

Butler Blue II: What I’ve Learned (December 23, 2011)

Mascot, 7, Indianapolis

Butler’s mascot, America’s dog, opens up once more to share his view on four furry legs.

People that question Brad Stevens, especially after consecutive Final Four appearances, reveal their ignorance.

If people greeted and treated each other they way that they greet and treat me, the world would be a much better and friendlier place.

Years from now people will look back at Butler’s consecutive Final Four appearances and truly appreciate the magnitude of such a feat.

Fans’ expectations of Butler basketball have changed, and not necessarily for the better. It’s more than just wins. Our expectations should be focused on the attributes and qualities that got us to the Final Four.

We’re fortunate. Our coach is still at the helm, the system is still in place. New personnel have to learn the ropes, but we’ll be fine. The future is bright. It’s good for our fans to get an exercise in patience.

Haters gonna hate. Let the fair-weathered jump from the Butler bandwagon without grief and welcome them with open arms when the sun shines on the Dawgs again.

Becoming a big brother to a human kid after being the apple of your parents’ eye for six years is an adjustment. But, I wouldn’t change it for anything…he’s part of the pack now.

The thing I cherish most in this world is playtime with Pops. Forget all of the cool stuff I’ve done, that’s when I’m the happiest.

It hasn’t yet been revealed to me why we missed out on a National Championship by inches, or another as the result of the ugliest game of our lives. I just try not to question it. Besides, there is too much positive wrapped up in all of that to not be proud.

There are certain animal rights groups that would like to tell you that I’m being exploited or suffering for the sake of Butler’s brand. If this is “exploitation” or “suffering” then I wish every dog could be so lucky. I’m living the high life.

My cup overfloweth with love and care. My role as a mascot has been more than good to be me.

If I died tomorrow, I know what my legacy will be and it’s one of proud of. One thing I’m not sure sure about is how I will be honored. It’s not important to me, but I know some humans who take this detail very seriously.

I realize now that honoring myself and Butler Blue I when we pass is vital to the university family. My instincts tell me Butler needs that tradition.

The impact of social media on my popularity is difficult to measure, but easily understood.

Call me an optimist, but I still believe Butler University’s brightest days are yet to come.

It’s likely that Blue III will arrive sooner than later. I have a job to do when he comes to his new home. It is my duty to show him the ropes; groom him for success through service.

If I do it right, Blue III will be a lasting memory of me and my legacy. I suppose this old Dawg is up to the task.

The Final Four appearances went a long way toward energizing Butler alumni and students. The level of school spirit amongst the Butler family is at an all time high. It’s neat to see.

Apathy and a sense of entitlement are school spirit killers. They lurk in dark corners and rear their ugly heads at inopportune times. But, they don’t have to…it’s all about attitude.

Butler University is no longer Indianapolis’ best kept secret.

I’m now seven year’s old, going on eight in March. The average life span of an English Bulldog is 8-12 years. I guess you could almost say I’m old. I am aging and growing wiser, but I’ve hardly lost a step.

I’m energized by what I do; my life’s work. It keeps me young. If only we all could be so lucky.

Never stop learning. If nothing else, it allows you to write blog posts like this. Until next time…

There is 1 comment .

Tracy Barron Phillips —

I still love the sweet, retired Blue I (and my beautiful daughter that is her mommy!). However, long live the reign of Blue II…thank you for all you’ve done for Butler. You are a good dawg, and we all love you. Happy Holidays to you and your wonderful family.

Share Your Thoughts!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Good Boy, Blue!

After much anticipation, the Butler Blue children's book, "Good Boy, Blue!" is finally off to print. Butler fans and kids of all ages are sure to love this heartwarming story and iconic illustrations.

Pre-order your copy today!

Get Your Pup a Blue III PetBox

Treat your best friend with a Blue III PetBox! After all, doesn't your dog deserve the very best? Blue III has teamed with PetBox to load up a box each month with the latest and greatest in treats, toys, and pet products. Proceeds benefit Butler's live mascot program too!

Order a Blue III PetBox today!

The Big Dawgs Tour

The Butler University Big Dawgs Tour rides again! From January through March, our beloved Bulldog, Butler Blue III will be venturing away from campus to spread some Butler cheer and follow the men's basketball team as they take on new BIG EAST opponents.

Be sure to follow along and enter yourself into the Big Dawgs Tour Contest!

Copyright ©2012. All Rights Reserved.