The Butler University baseball team started off its season on a strong note, winning all four games at a weekend event in Wilmington, North Carolina. Here’s a look at the breakdown of those games.
Game 1 | 2/16: 12-1 win over Lehigh University
- On the mound: Redshirt junior Connor Mitchell struck out eight while allowing just one run over five innings. Senior Josh Walker, junior Brock Balderson, and junior Landen Haney allowed a combined one hit over four scoreless innings to complete the game.
- At the plate: Senior third baseman/pitcher Garrett Christman went 4-4 with three RBI and two runs scored to lead Butler’s offensive effort. Sophomore outfielder Harrison Freed went 3-4 with a team-high four RBI. Sophomore second baseman Zach Jarosz and senior center fielder Tyler Houston also picked up an RBI each.
Game 2 | 2/17: 6-2 win over the University of North Carolina Wilmington
- On the mound: Garrett Christman struck out seven across six innings while surrendering two earned runs. Freshman John MacCauley, sophomore Kevin Napoleon, and sophomore Jack Pilcher kept the Seahawks off the scoreboard over the final three innings.
- At the plate: Senior outfielder Gehrig Parker led the Bulldogs, going 2-4 with an RBI double and solo home run. Christman and redshirt senior infielder Michael Hartnagel also each picked up an RBI in the game.
Game 3 | 2/17: 15-6 win over Lehigh University
- On the mound: Sophomore Ryan Pepiot made the start for Butler, striking out eight while surrendering three earned runs over five innings. Freshman Zach Myers gave up two runs in two-thirds of an inning, and junior Quentin Miller got the final out of the sixth inning. Freshman Connor Schultz gave up just one run over three innings to close out the game and pick up the first save of his career.
- At the plate: Houston led Butler by going 4-5 with three RBI and three runs scored. Parker and freshman infielder James Gargano each went 2-5 at the plate with two RBI. After facing an early 2-0 deficit, the Bulldogs rallied for back-to-back six-run innings in the fifth and sixth frames.
Game 4 | 2/18: 6-5 win over Eastern Kentucky University
- On the mound: Six pitchers took the mound for the Bulldogs in the contest. Junior Sam Hubbe made the start, allowing two earned runs over 4 ⅔ innings. Junior Quentin Miller got the final out of the fifth inning, and freshman Joe Graziano, senior Josh Walker, freshman John MacCauley, and sophomore Jack Pilcher each threw a scoreless inning to complete the game.
- At the plate: Butler faced a 5-0 deficit after three inning, but scored three runs in the sixth and eighth innings to secure the victory. Freed led the team with two RBI from a sixth-inning double. Jarosz, Christman, and junior Zach Parker also each picked up an RBI in the contest.
The Bulldogs return to action Feb. 23-25 with three games against George Mason University in Lexington, South Carolina.