Butler MFA students in Noise Medium and The Rumpus

12809615_10207602342229335_4825142972939054359_nBig congratulations to Butler Master in Fine Arts in Creative Writing students Dave Marsh and Andrea Boucher.

Dave, an MFA candidate in fiction, is the prize winner of NoiseMedium’s premiere contest. This is what the editors said about his submission:

In regards to our winner, David J .Marsh’s truly impressive, “Blow,” we here at NoiseMedium found ourselves drawn back, time and again, to its careful wording, deliberate pacing, and measured tone.  Within “Blow” we found the very themes that we feel apply to good writing as a whole – a sense of contentment and a quiet focus on the things that sustain us and carry us through when the noise and commotion of the wider world threaten to unhinge and unbalance us.  In addition to being a flat-out good read, David’s piece exemplifies the reasons we wanted to bring NoiseMedium to you in the first place.

We could not agree more. Read Dave’s story, “Blow” here.

Andrea%20Boucher_headshot2Andrea Boucher, MFA creative nonfiction candidate, continues to have amazing publishing success, this time at The Rumpus. Andrea heard from the editor the day after she submitted her essay and was thrilled they snatched it up so quickly. The editor wrote, “[Your essay] has a perspective our readers will find compelling.” Andrea said, “Getting published by The Rumpus was one of my personal goals. The Rumpus is Roxanne Gay and Cheryl Strayed.” The Rumpus is home to Strayed’s “Dear Sugar” column and Gay is the Essays Editor Emeritus and had one of the original columns. Andrea’s humorous and brutally honest essay, “Not an Alcoholic” will appear in the next few months. Until then, here’s a little teaser:

Turns out I’d driven to McDonald’s to get food, and an employee had called the police after I’d proven myself unable to navigate curbs in the drive-through. The police pulled me over less than a mile later. The officer didn’t believe me when I lied and said I hadn’t been drinking, nor did he believe me when I admitted a partial truth that yes, I’d had one small glass of wine hours ago, and that was it.