Need a Lift? I’m You’re Girl: Advice From an English Trainer On Why Women Should Lift Weights

Strength-Training-for-Women Ladies, we’ve all been there.  When it comes to strength training, we sometimes skip over it due to a few reasons: 1. you predict cardio is the most beneficial 2. you run out of time 3. your afraid of “bulking up,” or looking manly.   Even as a trainer, the term “pumping iron” sounds pretty intimidating.  But I’m here to tell you incorporating strength training sessions 2-3 times a week with at least one day of rest between workouts (i.e. if you do legs on Tuesday, do NOT go right back to legs on Wednesday) is a MUST.  There are many both short and long term benefits, whether it be improving your daily activities like carrying your bag around campus or lowering your risk of osteoporosis.  Strength training sessions will also increase muscle mass and overall strength — Ladies, I know what your thinking: “increased muscle mass — won’t that make me look big and bulky?”  NO!  and here’s why: ladies have lower levels of testosterone, the hormone which aids in muscle development.  Also, when you are increasing “muscle mass,”  you are increasing LEAN TISSUE, not fat.  Therefore, you will end up with a more toned physique, not a bulky one.  Building this lean tissue is also a metabolism booster, resulting in calorie burn even after 12 hours after your training session!

I must admit, as a runner, I have been stuck in the habit of “knocking out” my cardio first, leaving my strength training at the end only if “I have time” or “I feel like it.”  However, a friend of mine, Gary Butterfield, a personal trainer at the University of Leeds (where I studied abroad) and founder of G-Rex Fitness, wrote this inspiring article for all the women who might doubt the benefits of strength training.  He’s a lot more experienced in this area than I am, you should definitely should read this article.  It might change the way you train … for the better! 🙂

To see more what G-Rex Fitness is about, click here.

do-you-even-lift-bro-tri-blend-shirt_design

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2013/10/25/lift-girl-advice-english-trainer-women-lift-weights/