Simply Fit: You Don’t Have to be a Superstar

I have been logging more miles than usual these past couple of weeks, trying to get in better shape for the upcoming Chicago Half Marathon in September.  Yesterday, I completed about eight miles and today I stopped around the six mile mark.  Keeping track of all the “roadwork” I’ve done makes it seem like I’ve worked really hard.   However, when I think about how much training I have left before I consider myself “ready,” I become overwhelmed to the point where adding more milage seems more like a chore instead of a challenge.  Whenever I feel this way, I have to remember I started out taking just baby steps, not in perfect shape or any particular fitness goals in mind.  That’s what I have to continue to do; keep taking baby steps, pushing just a little more each session.  I think that’s the common mistake we often make — we become so hungry for the ultimate goal we neglect the mini accomplishments we make in between.  So, all you go-getters out there, if you are starting out, remember you do NOT have to be a track star or have ideal form (it comes with practice).  If you are in the midst of training, don’t overlook the little things… they matter and they do add up!  Check out this young boy.  He’s not a deadfast sprinter and his strides might not be “spot on,” but he’s out there and he’s pushing towards his next mile.  Motivated yet?

Some Motivation

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2012/08/14/simply-fit-superstar/