THIS GIRL IS ON FIRE

Me with some fabulous ladies at IRSA 2012.

You know that feeling you get when you hear something inspirational or you have a really good conversation with a group of friends?  That’s how I felt at the end of last week at the 2013 IRSA conference.  I had the pleasure of going with our wonderful members of pro staff and got to see some amazing equipment as well as meet some really amazing people.

The 2013 conference was held at the Purdue University recreation facility and oh my goodness gracious, it was HUUUUUGE!  I must admit, I am a Hoosier at Heart, but after touring the facility and becoming acquainted with other Indiana schools, I have decided Purdue might definitely be a place worth looking at 🙂

We opened the afternoon with lunch, a welcome and a tour of the facility.  Here are just a few highlights from the tour:

This machine is called a Kinesis by Technogym.  Basically, you can do all sorts of workouts (rows, pull-downs, cross-overs) without changing the placement of the element because the cords are freely movable!  Have to say, this machine was my favorite.  :)

This machine is called a Kinesis by Technogym. Basically, you can do all sorts of workouts (rows, pull-downs, cross-overs) without changing the placement of the element because the cords are freely movable! Have to say, this machine was my favorite. 🙂

How would you feel about doing some Disco Cycling?  In this room, you could change the lighting to mimic a dance floor!

How would you feel about doing some Disco Cycling? In this room, you could change the lighting to mimic a dance floor!

Rock climbing wall!  Wish we had the chance to go up!

Rock climbing wall! Wish we had the chance to go up!

After the tours, we ended the evening with a great social and an auction raising money for sending students to future conferences.

Me and a lovely former Butler Fitness Team member/ ISU Grad Fitness Assistant :)

Me and a lovely former Butler Fitness Team member/ ISU Grad Fitness Assistant 🙂

* I forgot to take a picture of one of the coolest things: Purdue had a “demo-kitchen,” an area where a dietician/staff member can host cooking tutorials geared towards healthier eating.  I really REALLY would like something like this at Butler.

IRSA 2013 was a fabulous opportunity to see new equipment, meet new people and see how other places run their rec facilities.  However, the greatest part about this conference is how fired up you feel when leaving.  There is nothing like being in a room with people, sharing ideas and connecting with others in your state to make your facility better.  I am nothing short of inspired and I am looking forward to future conferences!

See any equipment/ideas that you might want to start here at Butler?  Tweet me @Fitbee3 or comment below!

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2013/11/19/girl-fire/