March Monthly Challenge: Who are You?

When you think about your body and all that it’s accomplished, how would you define yourself?

whoami

I am taking the last week of February into this month’s challenge.  February 24th-28th was National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (NEDA), a week to celebrate all different body types and tackle any challenges with body image.  Although Eating Disorders remain a constant struggle and will always need awareness, I would like for this month to be dedicated to not only making ourselves better but realizing who we have become and all that we have done.  This can be hard, especially for those in the fitness world, where people usually look to gain, lose, or change their bodies somehow.  However, such goals remain so superficial and we often forget that health should always be the first priority.

What is still scary is that a lot of individuals practice disordered behaviors without realizing it.  Whether it be restricting caloric intake or overexercise, a lot of people consider such habits as “normal.”  According to a survey conducted by the Eating Disorders Recovery Center in 2010, 48 percent of college students were unaware they might have a problem, and therefore denied any treatment (Smith, 2010).

So-fellow gym-goers, help raise awareness by celebrating your own body!  Earlier this week, the HRC posted papers over the mirrors with space for members to write comments on what they most liked about themselves.  On a smaller scale, I would like for each of you to think of one thing everyday that you have either accomplished or you like about yourself.  This does not have to be over the top, just something to celebrate your body and all it can do.  Taking the time to do a self-evaluation once in a while can really help you appreciate the person you are.

Below is a TED talk that I really enjoy when it comes to talking about body image.  What I love is that the host, Cameron Russell, is realistic about different body types rather than telling people to “avoid the media.”  It’s not very long, and trust me, you’ll love it!  Click here to see it.

So, I guess today, I will start off by writing what I like about myself.  Playing tennis  and strength training has given me a stronger back and core 🙂

Sources: http://www.anad.org/news/the-hidden-health-crisis-on-campus-eating-disorders/

What do you all like about yourselves?

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2014/03/02/march-monthly-challenge/