31 Days of Pumpkin … How about some Savory Spaghetti Squash?

baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4574

I am so excited to finally post a real meal on here!  Not that the sweet stuff isn’t great (don’t worry, I’ll be going back to that shortly), but it was nice to have a change of pace.  This next recipe a lot of you have probably already tried before … and it still counts for our 31 days because it’s a member of the pumpkin family! I’ve heard about it for a long time, but I could never see what all the fuss was about.  Now I have!  I have decided that spaghetti squash is amazing, very easy and economical :).  I bought another one to make sometime this week — I must admit I’m kind of obsessed.  This would be great paired with a leafy green salad with feta cheese and tomatoes.  The following recipe is adapted from my wonderful friend (and Butler alum) miss Hannah Stiller.  This girl knows how to cook, so I thought this would be worth giving a try.

Baked Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti Squash

1-2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil

pinch of salt and pepper, to taste

pinch of nutmeg

1 TBSP Parmesan cheese (feel free to sprinkle shredded on too!)

1/4 cup light spaghetti sauce (I used Prego)

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  With a  sharp knife, pierce the squash all over and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Cook for about 75-80 minutes, flipping the squash halfway through.  Take out of the oven, let cool, and cut in half lengthwise, scooping out the seeds (the squash should be soft, so this should be really easy!)  Next, scrape with a fork so that you have spaghetti-like strands.  Place the strands in a skillet with the olive oil at medium heat, adding spices (and garlic if you want).  Toss until coated evenly, adding Parmesan (and any other cheeses) along with salt and pepper to taste.  Feel free to also heat up spaghetti sauce on medium-low heat, drizzling over top of spaghetti squash when it’s done.  Add some more Parmesan or even turkey meat crumbles for extra protein!  NOM NOM NOM.

Sorry for the lack of visuals on this post.  I was so hungry and honestly forgot to take pictures throughout making this recipe.

You could also cut in half the squash before baking it, drizzling it with some EVOO and spices beforehand.  I've tried both, and I honestly think it tastes the same either way.

You could also cut in half the squash before baking it, drizzling it with some EVOO and spices beforehand. I’ve tried both, and I honestly think it tastes the same either way.

Toss well and enjoy!  This stuff really is the bomb.com

Toss well and enjoy! This stuff really is the bomb.com

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2013/10/29/31-days-pumpkin-savory-pumpkin-squash/