NO GEAR November

abs-diet-1

I’m not even going to get into that “No-Shave November” nonsense.  As you know, each month, I always try to highlight a piece of equipment I find useful or fun.  However, some of us get so caught up in the fancy watches and bands that we sometimes forget that the greatest workouts can come from bodyweight alone.  Don’t believe me?  Challenge yourself with this workout from one of my favorite books, The Abs Diet: Eat Right Everytime Guide by David Zinczenko, the Editor-in-Chief of Men’s Health Magazine.  On page 178, he provides a straightforward, no-equipment workout.  This is all it is:

Perform each exercise for 30 seconds, moving right into the next one with little or no rest.  He recommends repeating the circuit for a total of eight minutes, but you can obviously adjust the length of this workout according to your fitness level.  I would recommend beginners see how they do after one round (two minutes) of this workout, taking a one minute break in between rounds.  Here are the exercises:

Exercise 1: Jumping Jacks

Exercise 2: Split hops (jumping, alternating legs so one foot is in front of the other with each jump)

Exercise 3: Squat thrust with push-up (from standing position, squat down, kick legs out behind you until you are in a push-up position, perform a push-up and then bring legs back in, standing straight up)

Exercise 4: Mountain Climbers

pigfox

Seems easy enough, but after you make it through the first round, I GUARANTEE you will be sweating!  The longer the circuit, the bigger the burn :).  This is honestly how I got into the whole “circuit-training” concept.  I really enjoy this workout.  It’s flexible, so you can keep it short while travelling or make it longer for a more intense sweat session.  This book is also great for other tips on what foods to eat for constructing a strong core.  I highly recommend it.  You can find the book on amazon for a pretty good deal.  Consider your beastmode, “on.”

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2013/11/04/gear-november/